The Provincial Health Officer and Minister of Health issued a joint statement yesterday regarding updates on COVID-19 in B.C. The statement includes updated guidance for all travellers returning to B.C., from any destination, to monitor themselves and their children closely for symptoms. The Provincial Health Officer also reiterates that the risk of spread of this virus within the province continues to remain low.
Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, have issued the joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in British Columbia:
- Given the changing dynamics of the outbreak in China and globally, and recognizing we are in the midst of influenza season, we ask all travellers who are returning to B.C. — no matter where they were in the world — to monitor themselves and their children closely for symptoms. If any symptoms arise, limit their contact with others and contact their primary care provider, local public health office or call 811. This is an important way to reduce the possibility of transmission of illness to others.
- The B.C. Provincial Health Officer is advising that the risk is low within British Columbia and all necessary precautions are being taken to prevent the spread of infection.
- The Provincial Health Officer is advising travellers who have been to China in the past 14 to monitor themselves and their children closely for symptoms (fever, shortness of breath, cough and breathing difficulties), and to contact their public health office if they have any concerns. Anyone who is concerned they may have been exposed to, or are experiencing symptoms of, the coronavirus (COVID-19) should contact their primary care provider, local public health office or call 811. Translation services for 811 are available in more than 130 languages.
- A toll-free phone number (1-833-784-4397) has been established to answer questions from Canadians about the COVID-19 virus. Service is available from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m
- Novel Coronavirus Q&A from HealthLinkBC: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-feature/coronavirus
- BC Centre for Disease Control: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)
- Government of Canada - Novel Coronavirus in China Travel Health Notice: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210